No Game No Life is going to be one of the most enjoyable Anime of 2014. It is the story of two gamers Sora and Shiro, who are brother and sister and form the gamer group “Blank”. They beat every game they play and hold high score records. Many assume they are cheaters, but there is a reason they have the god level of skill they do. It is because they are NEET (Not in Education, Employment or Training).
This is an interesting European cultural term much like Ronin is a Japanese modern culture term for someone who has not yet passed college entrance exams. The siblings Sora and Shiro are NEET and are hardcore gamers surpassing everyone else, essentially because they do not attend school or work or any other activity they live for games and devote their entire existence to it. Some would assume this unrealistic, but unlike the United States which is only just getting into professional and competitive gaming and gaming as a career, this has been part of cultures overseas for years.
For Blank the real world is just a crappy game, with no structure and arbitrary rules with no real goal or parameters for winning. This is feeling that many people can relate to and makes the story compelling from the start. The episode takes an interesting turn after the duo win an online chess game and beat the God of another world, a world where everything is decided by games.
For Blank this is an ideal world and once they arrive they decided between them they have not intention of returning to the real world.
Once they arrive in this world known as Disboard, its God Tet informs them of the 10 rules of this world.
- The Ten Rules apply to every race in Disboard, even Sora and Shiro, who are from the other world, and they can never be broken by any means. The Ten Rules are:
- 1. All murder, war, and robbery is forbidden in this world.
- 2. All conflict in this world will be resolved through games.
- 3. In games, each player will bet something that they agree is of equal value.
- 4. As long as it doesn’t go against number three, what they bet and the rules of the game will not be questioned.
- 5. The challenged party has the right to decide the rules of the game.
- 6. Any bets made in accordance with the pledges must be upheld.
- 7. Conflicts between groups will be conducted by designated representatives with absolute authority.
- 8. Being caught cheating during a game is grounds for an instant loss.
- 9. In the name of God, the previous rules may never be changed.
- 10. Let’s all have fun and play together!
Based on their understand of the rules the siblings are able to gamble their lives against a group of bandits and end up taking them for everything they have including their clothes. Eventually they are also able to win a bag of gold on a single hand of poker as well. Everything in this world is decided by games and the rules are clear and absolute. For the Blank siblings there could be no better world.
I really enjoyed this anime both for the artwork and story, the music accompanying it was also nice. This anime will be one I will be reviewing weekly along with Date A Live Season II. In terms of rating this episode based on enjoyment I’m going to give it an 8.5 out of 10. Very strong start No Game, No Life, well played!
Founding Member of Anime Arsenal. Outlaw Rave writes reviews for Anime and Manga primarily as well as reviews of AMVs while also doing most of the photohop editing and composites for the site as well as original Anime Music Videos. Favorite Anime(s): Escaflowne, Sword Art Online, Gundam 00, Cowboy Beebop, Fate Stay/Nite, Fate Zero, Air TV, Attack on Titan, Mirai Nikki, Hellsing Ultimate.